Ward of Court or Guardianship

If someone close to you is not be able to manage their affairs (money, being out and about, housing) anyone can apply on their behalf to the courts for them to become a Ward of Court.

The court will decide if your loved one is able to manage her affairs for her own benefit. If the courts decide that she cannot manage her affairs because of mental incapacity (dementia, brain injury, learning disability), the courts will appoint a Committee to control her affairs on her behalf.

The Ward of Court system can restrict your loved one's life substantially. For example, she may not be able to go on holiday to another country, and may not be able to marry.

Please see Inclusion Ireland Fact Sheet on guardianship

Click here for Court Service information on the Ward of Court system

Citizens Information Board has information on the topic on their website as well. 


Latest News

€642,476 for Disabled Persons Grant Scheme in Wicklow

Funding of €642,476 has been made available to County Wicklow...

Seminar on Personal Budgets

The Centre for Disability Law and Policy (CDLP), Inclusion Ireland...

Wicklow Community Directory

Wicklow Community Directory is an online website listing community groups...

World Bipolar Day

30th March is World Bipolar Day. You can participate on Instagram,...

Call to ratify UN CRPD

A protest will take place on Thursday, 30th March, from...